(Started in Jerusalem...Finished in London):
My bags are packed and I'm in my favourite coffee place having an ice 'Limonana' (lemonade with fresh mint - yum) reflecting on the last two months. My taxi is coming in an hour...
It's been life changing and life affirming. Parts have been hard and parts have been emotional. I have moved forward in so many ways but ironically, I am coming back with as much trepidation about going home as I had about coming here in the first place. I have been learning and been challenged constantly - about Israel, about people, about my history, my values and of course, my future. I have loved it all.
Living here, particularly in the last few weeks, has an amazing way of helping to put everything into perspective. Everyone seems to know what's really important, what matters. Here, you are making life-death decisions on a daily or even hourly basis. Ein Baya, "It doesn't matter", is a national catchphrase.
I loved Pardes (the place where I was studying) and finishing my course last Thursday was quite overwhelming. I was surprised by how much I much I had covered in just three weeks - and in awe of how little I had done at the same time. As someone in my class (a successful international lawyer) said "I feel I need to check myself into Yeshiva for the next 10 years".
I spent my last Shabbat in Jerusalem with friends, new and old. I tried to have the real 'Yerushalmi' (Jerusalemite) experience by going to Machne Yehuda, the main market in Jerusalem, to do the food shopping, followed by a very spiritual Kabbalat Shabbat service at Yakar, a small shul (synagogue) close to where I live. All ten dinner guests helped to prepare the meal, including a guy who made absolutely divine homemade challot (Girls, let me know if any of you want his number: He's from Chicago, but living in the NY area - was an actor but is now a cantorial student...!). As we were singing zmirot until the early hours, I realised that all the silver, crystal and china in the world can't make up for true ruach (spirit) and the feeling of being totally happy. And it almost goes without saying that the night finished with the proverbial visit to the Kotel (Western Wall) at 1am.
On Sunday I went to spend two lovely days in Herzlyia with Ruth and Anthony - which was great for my tan, but not so great for my waistline. But as we sat by the pool and in the restaurants, with army choppers and fighter jets flying over head, it was difficult to forget what was going on 50 miles up the road in Haifa.
Back in Jerusalem, I spent the last few days soaking up its unique atmosphere and doing some of my favourite things one more time, including doing my bit for the Israeli economy.
***
So, this is where I end my blog and start seeing you all in person to tell you more about my trip and my experiences. Some customary thank yous: To those of you in Israel who looked after me with unconditional warmth during the last two months and helped make my sabbatical trip so special and to those of you in England who kept in touch and especially those of who you came to see me. And to those in both places who have given me so much advice, guidance and support through it all - I love you all lots.
Yala, bye.
No comments:
Post a Comment